Reports » Asia
Asian stock market, economy and companies update (August 20, 2013)
- Risk-off accelerates in the afternoon Asia session, as China shibor rates hit 3-week highs and "rupee crisis" in India deteriorates further
- RBA minutes suggest policymakers straddling both sides of the fence on further easing; Will not close off to possibility of further rate cuts but also did not want to signal further imminent easing; Policy to be driven by the course of AUD exchange rate; Not expecting significant increase in China growth in the coming quarters.
- RBNZ announces macro-prudential measures on housing; Banks required to restrict new residential mortgage lending at loan-to-value ratio (LVR) of over 80% to no more than 10% of the dollar value of new housing lending flows; Acknowledges typically would use conventional rates mechanism to restrain housing demand, but will not do so now because inflation is low; Still forecasts rates to rise in 2014.
- RBNZ Q3 inflation expectations the lone datapoint; 1-year seen at 1.9% vs 1.5% prior; 2-year at 2.4% vs 2.1% prior; 1-year GDP seen rising from 2.5% to 2.8% prior forecast, unemployment seen at 6.0% vs 6.4% prior forecast.
- Hang Seng at 1-week lows below 22,100.
- NAB the lone bright spot in Australia reporting season; Q3 Net profit rises to A$1.7B v A$1.4B y/y; BHP on tap to report FY13 after Sydney close.
- (JP) JGB: Japan MoF sells ¥399.5B in 1.9% 40-year bonds, bid to cover: 3.37x v 2.64x prior
- (JP) BOJ to buy ¥400B in CP outright on Aug 23rd
- (AU) Australia Ministry of Finance (AOFM) sells A$200M in 2.5% indexed 2030 Bonds
- (CN) China PBOC to inject CNY36B in 7-day reverse repos
- (CN) Daily Shibor fixings: 1-week: 4.4280% (highest since July 31st) v 4.0920% prior
- (CN) China Iron and Steel Association (CISA): China avg daily crude steel production 2.14Mt in early August, +2.7% y/y
- GLD: SPDR Gold Trust ETF daily holdings fall by 3.0 tonnes to 912.3 tonnes
- NZD/USD falls over 1% below $0.80 handle after RBNZ announced macro prudential restrictions on lending to curb housing prices, as policymakers defer to alternate measures amid low inflation.
- AUD/USD rises as high as $0.9120 immediately after RBA minutes; Closer market reading of the statement sends AUD/USD below $0.9050, as RBA signals it has not fully closed the door on more easing despite removing key phrase from statement on more easing being warranted.
- USD/INR rises above INR64, new record high; Moody's warns it will be "very challenging" for India to meet this year's fiscal deficit target.
- JPY firms late in the day as USD/JPY pair trades below ¥97.50; AUD/JPY at 1-week lows below ¥88.50.
- EUR/USD, GBP/USD in narrow 20-pip ranges around $1.3340 and $1.5650 respectively.
***Speakers/Political/In the Papers***
- (CN) PBoC researcher Wang: Warns of risks from lending between banks and local govts; Calls for banks to closesly supervise and strictly approve lending to local govts - Chinese press
- (CN) Shanghai July new housing loans surges, rising for the 6th consecutive month - Chinese press
- (JP) Japan LDP Tax panel's Noda: Sales tax increase is inevitable - Japanese press
- (JP) Seasonally adjusted exports in Japan's July merchandise trade balance fell 1.8% m/m; First sequential decline in 8 months - Nikkei News
- (KR) South Korea shipper companies said to be looking to raise rates on expectations that shipping demand will rise - Korean press
- (EG) Egypt authorities arrest the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood in Cairo - financial press
- (BR) Brazil Fin Min Mantega: stress in fx market due to higher US Treasury yields
Markets Snapshot (as of 03:15 GMT):
- Nikkei225 -0.5%, S&P/ASX -0.5%, Kospi +0.1%, Shanghai Composite +0.4%, Hang Seng -0.4%, Sept S&P500 +0.1% at 1,646, Dec gold flat at $1,366, Sept crude oil -0.1% at $106.96/brl
- Urban Outfitters URBN Reports Q2 EPS $0.51 v $0.48e, R$758.5M v $767Me; +7.0% afterhours
Notable movers by sector:
- Industrial: JGC Corp 1963.JP +2.9%; Daihatsu Motor Co 7262.JP -3.7%; Hino Motors Ltd 7205.JP -6.3%; Suzuki Motor Corp 7269.JP -5.1%; Isuzu Motors Ltd 7202.JP -3.8%; Nissan Motor Co 7201.JP -1.6%; Nippon Electric Glass 5214.JP -2.3%; Kubota Corp 6326.JP -3.5%; MacMahon MAH.AU -17.1% on weak FY13 results, lowers FY14 outlook; Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine 042660.KR +3.1%; Samsung Heavy Industries 010140.KR +0.3%; Hyundai Merchants 011200.KR -4.0%; STX Offshore & Shipbuilding 067250.KR +9.9%
- Energy: Kansai Electric Power 9503.JP +4.8%; Tohoku Electric 9506.JP +3.2%; Inpex Corp 1605.JP -3.3%; Oil Search Ltd OSH.AU +1.2%
- Telecom: NTT DoCoMo 9437.JP +2.2%
- Technology: Konica Corp 4902.JP -1.5%; Delta Electronics 2308.TW -2.6%
- Materials: Yokohama Rubber 5101.JP -3.1%; BHP Billiton Ltd BHP.AU -1.2% with FY13 results expected later during the session; Arrium Ltd ARI.AU +12.2%
- Consumer Discretionary: Citizen Holdings Co Ltd 7762.JP -1.8%; Coca-Cola Amatil CCL.AU -4.9% missing H1 profit expectations, lowers FY13 EBIT guidance range; Ansell ANN.AU +4.4%; Sydney Airport SYD.AU -2.3%; Tassal Group TGR.AU +2.1% after annual net profits came in up 19% on strong Australia sales
- Financials: QBE Insurance Group QBE.AU -5.8% after reporting H1 profits were down 37%; National Australia Bank NAB.AU +0.8% after Q3 statement showed higher profits, revenues
- Healthcare: Sonic Healthcare SHL.AU +4.0% on improved FY13 Net profit results, raised FY14 EBITDA guidance 5%
- (NZ) NEW ZEALAND Q3 RBNZ 2-YEAR INFLATION EXPECTATIONS: 2.4% V 2.1% PRIOR
- (AU) RESERVE BANK OF AUSTRALIA (RBA) AUG MINUTES: RBA HAS NOT CLOSED OFF POSSIBILITY OF FURTHER RATE CUTS
Stock Market Forum
- Indian Stock Market ,Nifty Future Technical Trading Tips
23 April 2014
- Theralase (TSXV: TLT) Developing Next Generation Medical Lasers
22 April 2014
- Get Free Intraday Mcx & Stock Tips Free Trial at Gaining.com
21 April 2014
- Sell MCX Gold Jun contract at Rs 28960
19 April 2014
- 100% secure stock tips
18 April 2014
- IntelGenx (IGX.V) Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results and Highlights Recent Developme
16 April 2014
- Daily Stock Market Technical Data
16 April 2014
- Skyharbour Resources Ltd. (TSX VENTURE:SYH) Western Athabasca Syndicate Provides Dril
15 April 2014
- Indian Stock Market News
10 April 2014
- Stock market trading calls today
10 April 2014