Reports » US
US stock market, economy and companies update (December 03, 2013)
- US markets are in the red again this morning following steady declines in European markets. Analysts are talking about renewed fears of a December taper as behind today's declines. As of writing the DJIA is down 0.52%, the S&P500 is down 0.18% and the Nasdaq is down 0.11%.
- The yen hit six-month lows against the greenback around 103.38 at midnight ET, but has retaken a big figure as of writing, strengthening to around 102.3. The yen saw five-year lows against the euro at 140 handle overnight. Traders suggest the yen weakness topped out after government officials said that hopes for more stimulus were overblown and plans for more spending were not close to being finalized. Meanwhile, the euro was around 1.3530 to the dollar during the Asia session but has nearly retaken 1.3600 as of midmorning.
- November auto sales reports from the big three US automakers all topped expectations. GM sales were up 19% y/y, Chrysler sales rose 16% y/y and Ford's were up only 7% y/y. A Ford sales executive November retail sales were the company's best going back to 2004. Toyota's sales momentum continues to be pretty tepid, up in the low single digits, while Nissan saw a respectable 10.7% y/y gain. Shares of both Ford and GM lost ground in the first hour of trade, but are headed back to unchanged.
- Shares of Forest Labs have gained 10% over the last two sessions and added some more mid morning on rumors that AstraZeneca was exploring an acquisition of the company. In a release this morning, newly-installed CEO Brent Saunders launched a plan to cut about 500 jobs and trim $500 million in costs over the next two years. In addition, the company will buy back $400 million in stock by the end of 2013.
- Celgene will partner on a slate of cancer stem cell programs in development at OncoMed, in exchange for a $177.25 million upfront fee and more than $3 billion in milestones. Celgene will get co-marketing rights in the US and a lead commercialization role abroad for six OncoMed cancer stem cell programs. The deal involves OncoMed's lead drug, demcizumab, along with five preclinical candidates. OMED is up 70% on the news.
- Krispy Kreme disappointed investors with tepid initial FY15 guidance with its otherwise pretty solid Q3 earnings report. Shares are dunking this morning, down 16%. Note that KKD has been on a sugar high this year, up nearly 150% in 2013 alone.
- Shares of Abercrombie are up 6% this morning as Engaged Capital sends letter to board, pressuring it to initiate a search for new CEO. Engaged highlighted the upcoming expiration of Abercrombie Chairman and CEO, Michael Jeffries employment contract on February 1, 2014.
- 11:30 (US) Treasury to sell $45B in 4-Week Bills
- 13:00 (US) Fed's Lacker testifies on bankruptcy to House subcommittee
- 13:00 (EU) ECB's Nowotny (Austria)in Brussels
- 14:15 (NZ) New Zealand Fin Min English in Parliament
- 16:30 (US) Weekly API Oil Inventories
- 17:00 (US) Nov Total Vehicle Sales: 15.75Me v 15.15M prior; Domestic Vehicle Sales: 12.10Me v 11.73M prior
- 19:30 (AU) Australia Q3 GDP Q/Q: 0.7%e v 0.6% prior; Y/Y: 2.5%e v 2.6% prior
- 20:30 (JP) BOJ Board Member Sato speech & Press Conference in Hokkaido
- 20:45 (CN) China Nov HSBC/Markit Services PMI: No est v 52.6 prior
- (BR) Brazil Q3 GDP Q/Q: -0.5% v -0.3%e; Y/Y: 2.2% v 2.4%e; GDP four quarters Accumulated: % v 2.3% v 1.9% prior
- (EU) OECD Oct annual inflation: 1.3% v 1.5% prior
- (IE) Ireland Nov Consumer Confidence: 71.0 v 76.2 prior
- (US) ICSC Chain Store Sales w/e Nov 30th: w/w -2.8%; y/y: +2.5%
- (SG) Singapore Nov Purchasing Managers Index: 50.8 v 51.4e; Electronics Sector Index: 51.2 v 51.2e
- (US) Redbook Retail Sales w/e Nov 30th: +4.9% y/y, Nov MTD: -0.2% m/m; Nov MTD +3.9% y/y
- (EU) Weekly ECB Forex Reserves: €206.7B v €206.8B prior
- (US) Nov ISM New York: 69.5 v 59.3 prior
- (US) Dec IBD/TIPP Economic Optimism: 43.1 v 43.0e
- (DK) Denmark Nov Foreign Reserves (DKK): 489.3B v 491B prior
Stock Market Forum
- 100% secure stock tips
18 April 2014
- IntelGenx (IGX.V) Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results and Highlights Recent Developme
16 April 2014
- Daily Stock Market Technical Data
16 April 2014
- Skyharbour Resources Ltd. (TSX VENTURE:SYH) Western Athabasca Syndicate Provides Dril
15 April 2014
- Theralase (TSXV: TLT) Developing Next Generation Medical Lasers
15 April 2014
- Get Free Intraday Mcx & Stock Tips Free Trial at Gaining.com
12 April 2014
- Indian Stock Market News
10 April 2014
- Stock market trading calls today
10 April 2014
- Calyx (TSXV: CYX) Provides Corporate Update and Cancels Private Placement Financing
9 April 2014
- DEVELOPMENT CAPITAL GROUP, INC (DLPM) Clearance.co Acquired For $40 Million by DLPM
8 April 2014