Reports » US
US stock market, economy and companies update (December 30, 2013)
- Low-volume, holiday markets remain in effect for most of this week, although there has been a decent flow of impactful equity stories in headlines this morning. US equity markets are moving sideways in the early going, with DJIA up 0.12%, the S&P500 flat and the Nasdaq down 0.07%.
- The November Pending Home Sales Index rose less than expected, putting the level of signed sale contracts about 1.6% below last November's levels. The NAR said that the data indicates the US may have reached a cyclical low as the positive fundamentals of job creation and household formation are likely to foster a fairly stable level of contract activity in 2014. The Dallas Fed survey was pretty strong, although the new orders subcomponent did flip to contraction.
- Shares of Facebook lost ground on Friday, dropping nearly 5% on no real news. Many speculate the social media giant sank in sympathy with Twitter, which declined approximately 13% on Friday. This morning was down as much as 3% in the early going before recovering. Over the weekend, media outlets widely reported the results of a study funded by the EU that found 16-18 year-old teens in UK have moved off Facebook to Snapchat, Instagram and WhatsApp. Note that Twitter is down 6% this morning on another swing in momentum trading.
- Cooper Tire's $2.2 billion merger deal with India's Apollo Tyre has skidded off the highway this morning. Cooper called off its proposed sale to Apollo, a deal that would have created the world's seventh largest tire company. Cooper said financing is no longer available and continues to claim, as it has for months, that Apollo breached the terms of the agreement. The shares are not moving much this morning, after having lost 25% in the wake of the months-long legal battle with Apollo.
- Shares of biotech name Myriad Genetics are down 16% after Medicare and Medicade's CMS limited reimbursement rates for a Myriad genetic test that predicts women's risk of breast cancer. CMS cut by nearly half the amount it would pay, after earlier this year the Supreme Court ruled Myriad couldn't patent BRCA genes and allowed other companies to offer their own tests.
- Among other notable movers, Crox is up 16% confirmed receipt of a $200M investment from Blackstone in convertible preferred shares. For-pay education name ITT Educational Services is down 4% after disclosing that the CFPB would take legal action against the company after it violated various parts of the Dodd-Frank and Truth in Lending acts.
- 11:30 (US) Treasury to sell combined $76B in 3-Month and 6-Month Bills
- 12:30 (MX) Mexico to sell MXN 10.5B in 3-Month Bills
- 13:00 (US) Treasury to sell 4-Week Bills
- 15:30 (MX) Mexico Nov YTD Budget Balance (MXN): No est v -218.1B prior
- (RU) Russia Q3 Final GDP Y/Y: 1.2% v 1.2% prelim
- (CL) Chile Nov Retail Sales Y/Y: 9.2% v 9.1%e
- (CL) Chile Nov Manufacturing Index Y/Y: -1.1% v -1.5%e
- (CL) Chile Nov Total Copper Production: 514.9K v 507.7K tons prior
- (CL) Chile Nov Unemployment Rate: 5.7% v 5.8%e
- (ZA) South Africa Nov Trade Balance (ZAR): +0.8BB v -9.7Be
- (ES) Spain Nov YTD Budget Balance: -€40.6B v -€37.0B prior
- (US) Nov Pending Home Sales M/M: +0.2% v 1.0%e; Y/Y: -4.0% v -0.2%e
- (US) Dec Dallas Fed Manufacturing Activity: 3.1 v 2.0e
- (CO) Colombia Nov National Unemployment Rate: 8.5% v 7.8% prior
Stock Market Forum
- 100% secure stock tips
18 April 2014
- IntelGenx (IGX.V) Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results and Highlights Recent Developme
16 April 2014
- Daily Stock Market Technical Data
16 April 2014
- Skyharbour Resources Ltd. (TSX VENTURE:SYH) Western Athabasca Syndicate Provides Dril
15 April 2014
- Theralase (TSXV: TLT) Developing Next Generation Medical Lasers
15 April 2014
- Get Free Intraday Mcx & Stock Tips Free Trial at Gaining.com
12 April 2014
- Indian Stock Market News
10 April 2014
- Stock market trading calls today
10 April 2014
- Calyx (TSXV: CYX) Provides Corporate Update and Cancels Private Placement Financing
9 April 2014
- DEVELOPMENT CAPITAL GROUP, INC (DLPM) Clearance.co Acquired For $40 Million by DLPM
8 April 2014